Pure line selection
1. The plant variety formed is mixture of pure lines.
1. The plant variety formed is pure line.
2. This method of crop improvement is practiced in both the self-pollinated and cross pollinated plants.
2. This method of crop improvement is practiced in the self-pollinated crops.
3. The crop which is developed will have mixture of different characters.
3. The crop developed possess uniform characteristics.
4. The mass selection procedures must be done every year so as to maintain the purity.
4. The pure line variety formed can be maintained easily.
5. The variety developed usually possesses much adaptability and stability.
5. The variety developed usually possesses narrow adaptability and stability.
6. The pollination is not controlled.
6. The process of pollination has to be controlled in order to maintain self-pollination only.
7. Mass selection creates genetic variability as it maintains heterozygosis.
7. Pure line selection maintains homozygous condition.
8. The new variety is not easily identifiable during the seed certification.
8. The new variety is easily identifiable in seed certification programmes.
Get access to your account and question